Thursday, August 27, 2009

Kimchi Three Ways

This is kimchi fried rice using leftover cold rice. Delicious with Costco's roasted chicken.
This is leftover kimchi fried rice with added sauteed slices of hot dogs for a perfect Saturday night meal watching the game.
This is my second batch of kimchi pancakes, almost using the rest of my kimchi, still have enough for one more batch. This time I used all-purpose flour instead of rice flour, and tasted the same to me. I saved one for the next day and ate is as a snack (cut into quarters and re-heated slightly in microwave for 20-30 seconds) dipped in a little soy mixed with fresh lemon juice.

I am convinced kimchi is very good for you, as most cabbage is, I'm glad we like cabbage in all forms. Steve liked all these dishes too, a little spicy, but tolerable. I've already gone over the recipes for kimchi and the pancakes, and in case you don't know how to make fried rice, here is how I make it:
2 cups leftover cold white rice

2 slices thick bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped

Wesson oil for frying, depending on amount of rendered bacon fat

2 eggs

salt and pepper

2-3 green onions, chopped

2-3 tablespoons soy sauce

(Kimchi, about 3/4 cup, drained and chopped up, optional)


In a large heavy skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the bacon pieces until almost done, don't make it too crispy, rendering the fat. Add the onions and saute till translucent, about three minutes. Add some more oil (you want about 4 tablespoons total), usually about 1-2 tablespoons, bring up the heat and add in the rice, breaking up the clumps of rice as the heat softens it. Continue to stir fry for about 4-5 minutes, till rice is starting to brown a little. Make a well in the center, pushing the rice to the sides of the pan. Crack the eggs in the center, and scramble, stirring occasionally till almost well set. Bring in the rice from the sides, and incorporate all the scrambled eggs in. Add the salt (to taste, not too much) and pepper, green onions, and sprinkle with the soy sauce. Stir well and serve.
Oops, I forgot the kimchi, I actually did when I made this, so I simply dished out the rice, stir-fried the kimchi for about 4-5 minutes till softened, then mixed it all together again ;)
I like to add a little more soy sauce and lemon juice, or fini dini (a Guamanian dipping sauce made of soy, vinegar, mild peppers, lemon juice, and green onion) . Refrigerate any leftovers and enjoy another day mixed with cooked, sliced, hot dogs, spam, or any meat you have leftover.
My family learned how to make this fried rice back in the late 60's (I was in my early teens) when we lived on Guam where my father was stationed while serving in the Navy. I think it is a combination of Filipino and Guamanian cuisine. We used to use "Calrose" rice, which had to be rinsed before cooking, so was starchier, and firmer. Now I just use regular long-grain white, basmati, or jasmine rice. Incidentally, for the luaus on Guam, Guamanians usually made "red rice", I think using annatto powder which gives a subtle flavor, and beautiful color. I don't know if that is Filipino, but a lot of the recipes influence others, I could go on and on about the food on Guam.......wonderful!


I hope you try kimchi and cook with your kimchi. It is so good.

Just another day of cooking.....here in paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment