Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Stinkin' Up the Joint

More about that in a minute, the stinkin' part that is.......first, here was yesterday in Paradise:
This was a lucky shot I got yesterday afternoon of a piece of a rainbow! We got no rain, some did, but it has not rained any measurable amount in So. Cal for probably over 7 months now. The heat and humidity is bringing out critters such as rattlesnakes......the TV news is showing real big ones coming out of the bushes and biting people.....yikes!!!!!
Anyway, with this weather and all, we call it July Fry, well it's August now, but all of July was hot, hot.......I had been researching how to make homemade kimchi since I have heard it is healthful and good for weight management, plus I love anything sour and spicy. It is good, they say, to make kimchi while hot, since it has to ferment for several days on the counter to get the good bacteria that makes it good and good for you.....well, I just had to try it, since it is pretty expensive to buy....actually I don't think I have really ever had kimchi. Kimchi is a Korean pickled cabbage, and apparently there are as many ways and recipes as there are homes in Korea....I just kind of read a lot about it, then figured out my own method that was the easiest.

This is the fermented kimchi, after three days on my counter, if you look close you can see fermentation bubbles, it foamed a bit as I packed it in the container, so I hope it got done enough. Then you refrigerate it for about two weeks, it still continues to ferment and get sour, then it can last for quite awhile refrigerated, but from what I read, it does not last long because it gets eaten. It is used as a condiment for almost all meals as I understand it. Two weeks??? Must be patient....

This was just after mixing well and getting ready for counter fermentation.


Here are the ingredients I used, I didn't have the recommended Korean chili powder, so just used about a teaspoon of sambal olelek, a real spicy chili sauce.

It was:

one large head Napa cabbage, rinsed and chopped into 1 inch pieces
3 Tablespoons of sea salt, or kosher salt
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
1 one inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
4 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
1 scant teaspoon sambal olelek


First, you layer the cabbage into a clean bowl, salting as you layer, then rub it in real well into the pieces, you will feel it wilting, till salt is covering each piece. Cover with a heavy plate to weight it down, leave to sit for two to three hours. This process allows the cabbage to wilt and release excess water, while retaining some crispness and taste. Then, you rinse it well, two times, under lots of cold water, then drain well. I tasted it for saltiness, it should not taste TOO salty, just salty enough.

Mix it really well with your hands, (can wear clean gloves) kind of squishing it somewhat, tossing cabbage with the garlic, ginger, sambal and onions, place in clean plastic container with tight lid.

Do not seal the lid all the way to allow gases to escape, and leave on your counter for two to three days (hopefully during hot weather). I stirred mine down once during this process. (phewey)You will finally see tiny bubbles coming up and the liquid will continue to be released. When you think it is ready, stir and transfer to a plastic or glass container with a tight lid, push well into the container, the accumulated juices should just cover the cabbage. Cover and place in the fridge for at least two weeks. This slows the fermentation and mellows the flavors (according to my research).

It did smell quite strong, but in a good way, my nose catches a little of the sour cabbage, then the ginger, garlic and onions....smellin' up the joint............oh heavenly!

Check back in two weeks, I can hardly wait to try it! I know Steve won't like it much, although he likes sauerkraut, so maybe he will, I kinda hope he does, but if not, more for me!





Miss Kitty hiding out in the garage, see Mt Miguel in the reflection?





No comments:

Post a Comment