Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Not like Denny's!



These are kimchi pancakes. I made several recipes for kimchi, I am still waiting to taste the more authentic one I made to ferment properly....anyway, I made a kimchi salad last week, using Bobby Flay's recipe from the Food Network. It came out kinda soggy, so decided I would use it to cook with. I also added some fish sauce and a little more salt two days ago and let it ferment more since I understand the pancakes are best when using well-fermented kimchi.


The pancakes came out really tasty. Like a lot of foods or recipes I am unfamiliar with, I try to research all the recipies I can find, then come up with the easiest and most simple way to accomplish my goal. I wanted to try a kimchi pancake so bad, so this is how I did it:



1/2 cup kimchi, chopped up

1/2 cup rice flour or AP flour

3 Tablespoons kimchi juice

scant 1/2 cup water, may not need it all

1 egg

good dash salt



4 Teaspoons grapeseed oil, or vegetable oil



Heat an 8 inch heavy non-stick skillet over medium high heat, while heating, mix up your ingredients (not the oil), and it should be a somewhat runny consistency, add more water if needed.


When pan is hot, pour in two teaspoons oil and swirl around pan. Spoon half the mixture into the pan. Stir around a little, then just let it cook for about 2-3 minutes, till almost set on top and light brown on bottom. Flip and continue to cook 2-3 minutes more. Remove to plate and repeat with remaining oil and batter. Stack cakes, allow to cool slightly (for easier slicing), then slice into quarters.


Serve with dipping sauce made of a mixture of lemon juice and soy sauce, and hot sauce if you like it. The kimchi is already quite spicy with red pepper, so I didn't think it needed hot sauce.


After eating and enjoying some of the kimchi pancake, I just left it covered on the stove, then had to come and have some more as a snack, there are still two quarters left for a snack tomorrow! I will be making these again and again until my kimchi is used up.





Kimchi fried rice just around the corner here in paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment