Saturday, August 15, 2009

It's only Meatloaf, But I Like It




This is a pretty sunset in paradise, perfect summery balmy Friday evening.




This is a perfect meatloaf. Everyone seems to like this meatloaf and I'd thought I'd share my simple go-to recipe which never fails to please, of course the real reason for making it is to have leftovers.......I make meatloaf sandwiches for Steve's lunches, but this time I tried making meatloaf sliders and they were super good too. You just slice it thin, spread a mixture of mustard, ketchup, horseradish, and mayo on one pkg of four King's Hawaiian rolls, sliced in half (leave whole), lay on your meatloaf thinly, add one piece of American cheese, wrap in foil, heat in toaster oven set at 400 for about 10 minutes, cut into four rolls, two sliders each person. Serve with pickles and potato chips for a fun, easy and nice Saturday night meal. For a party, you could easily use a big package of rolls. Have you tried sliders yet?




Anyway, here is how I make meatloaf:




1 lb. ground sirloin (I stock up when on sale)


1/2 lb. lean ground pork (or another 1/2 lb. sirloin)


2 slices white bread, crumbled by hand up or grind in food processor


1 egg


two good squirts ketchup (about 1/4 cup), plus more for top


1/4 cup milk


1 teasp salt


few grinds fresh pepper


one small dash Worcestershire sauce


3 Tblsp dried onion flakes (secret and necessary ingredient)




Mix together well all the ingredients except the meat, making sure all the bread crumbs are in small bits. Crumble in the meats and mix all together until well combined.




Line a baking pan with non-stick foil (Reynolds Release/my favorite). Shape meat mixture into a loaf shape and plop it into the pan. Squirt all over with ketchup, I like to make a basket weave type pattern, but you can smooth it out too.




Bake at 375 degrees for one hour (I use my toaster oven). You can tell it is done when some of the juices start running out of the top, don't overcook, it will continue to cook while it rests.




Let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes before slicing. We usually have the meatloaf hot on the first night, by cutting and serving both end pieces, leaving a more even loaf for storing. Reserve the cooled leftovers, double-wrapped, first in plastic, then in foil, in the fridge. This keeps well for at least one week. It is easy to slice thin when cold. I like thin slices for my sandwich, Steve likes it sliced thick. Try it!


I rotated this picture even it still came out wrong again! Grrr


No comments:

Post a Comment