Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fulfilling a Promise :)

























A few weeks ago, and a couple of failures later, I decided I was ready to make the simple purse I had been promising myslef I would complete. I had some free Saturday morning time, so went to work and within a few hours, I was done......Since I already had somewhat of a master plan; I knew the basic shape and design and that I just needed to hand sew the outer felt, and machine sew the lining, then hand-stitch it in place. I was deciding on embellishments, so I needle felted a design to coordinate with the colors and pattern of the lining. It came out so cute!! Anyway, I am using it as a sewing/felting kit and I just love how it looks and functions so have been re-inspired to keep experimenting with my techniques. As previously mentioned, I have now studied my book a little more and have new information, such as using dissoluble stabilizer when machine sewing felt....for now, I intend to mostly hand sew with embroidery floss or silk ribbon and I know my machine will appreciate that =^..^=




Then I made stuffed mini sweet peppers I purchased at the 99 Cents Only store. They had the nicest produce yesterday, stocked up on beautiful celery, carrots, onions, raspberries, and limes...I couldn't resist these colorful peppers and I remembered I had made stuffed peppers like these once and wrote the recipe down because it was easy and good. I don't really even like sweet peppers always, but I like them prepared this way and they smell really good cooking. I am serving them later, re-heated, with some leftover sauteed kale with ham and garlic, and some frozen stuffed potatoes, also from 99C. It is too hot still to cook at night, so I have been busy cooking this morning, to last us a few meals. Red beans with ham hocks are boiling away now, to have for a nice late lunch with Steve tomorrow with fresh cornbread.




I imagine most folks know how to make beans, and cornbread using Jiffy mix is so easy, but you may be interested in the stuffed peppers. Here's how I wrote out the recipe, since I only had half a dozen or so peppers, I halved the recipe, for the meat, and breadcrumbs...I did use a whole egg, and whole can of soup, and didn't change the seasonings, except a little less salt. They came out really good and I had a little extra filling, so I just baked it in patties next to the peppers.




1 lb lean ground beef or turkey


6 medium green bell peppers (I used mini Hungarian sweet peppers)


1 cup soft breadcrumbs (rye is good)


1/2 t. salt


dash pepper


1 egg
2 T. minced onion (I used red)

1 can condensed tomato soup, divided
Cut off tops, remove seeds from peppers and steam shells for five minutes (in microwave steamer). Let cool till you can handle them.
Combine stuffing and mix with HALF a can of the soup.


Fill peppers, then bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Spoon rest of soup over each pepper and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes, no longer than an hour.
Note: if you have leftover filling, shape into patties and bake and serve alongside the peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment