Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Turkeys Are Here

These are three floral turkeys I made for our Thanksgiving day. The one on the left is from floral class and has googly eyes and a waddle of chenille stem...the others I made from leftover flowers and stuff from the yard. The middle one is more of a wild turkey shape and has two candles in the middle, making them look quite striking at night.






Floral class turkeys, they all came out beautiful, some took theirs home before I could snap the pics. The one on the left is mine.


Home for the holiday....also got to make bud vase turkeys in class, if the big turkey sold in a florist shop, it would be about $45.00, the bud vase around $12.00, mine cost around $8.00 total (china mums for the breasts and poms for the body) and the birds of paradise were cut right here in Paradise! We learned how to "open up" the birds to get their full value, very slimy, guess that's why hummingbirds love them.





Just couldn't stop making arrangements!



















Here's how it looks in El Cajon on Thanksgiving eve, just perfect.
Orange you glad I showed these pictures????
I'm making "do nothing" turkey, Stove top dressing, Costco mashed taters, roasted Brussels, Ocean spray cranberry sauce, frozen pearl onions, and Henry's pumpkin pie, gotta have a rest after all those floral designs.....phew...........
Oh and the do nothing turkey recipe I found somewhere on the web, is for a 12 pounder, you just use olive oil, salt and pepper, then place it on ribs of celery and roast for 2 hours, I have to check the temp (I think it was 375), for two hours, then tent for 1/2 hour and done. It says to discard giblets, but that I will not do since giblet gravy is my specialty, and that will get the "Scarborough Fair" treatment, you know, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, all from my garden..........
Can't wait to smell that turkey cooking, Steve loves the legs, otherwise I would make the breast only, but you have to admit, nothing looks better than a perfectly roasted turkey! Wish me luck :).
We are NOT shopping on Friday, just putting up Christmas lights and eating turkey sandwiches. YUM. Have a nice Thanksgiving, we have a lot to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment