Friday, November 13, 2009

Halloween's Over but Thanksgiving is Coming












I decided to make sweet potato soup and embellish it with a spider web, tasted good and was kinda fun to make. I kept my Halloween menu on the simpler side this year, I did manage my deviled egg "eyeballs", and had leftover frozen beef curry , so just heated it up and called it "ghoulash", then made "bear claws" out of biscuits I just cut four slits around.



















SWEET POTATO SOUP
1.5 pounds sweet potatoes (about three medium), peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
1 medium shallot, chopped
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 slice fresh ginger (1/4 inch circle)
Dash of Madeira wine (ginger juice, see note)
1 16 oz. can chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon salt
Few fresh cracks fresh black pepper

1/2 cup half and half
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons honey
additional salt to taste


2-3 Tablespoons sour cream thinned with half and half




Note: I keep fresh sliced ginger in a covered container, covered with sherry or Madeira and use the juice as seasoning and just keep adding more ginger and sherry, it keeps forever in the fridge it seems.
Cook the potatoes, celery, shallot, thyme, salt, pepper, ginger and Madeira with the can of chicken stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer about 35 to 45 minutes, until veg are very tender. Remove thyme stem and ginger round. Puree with immersion blender while adding the half and half, may need a little extra, if too thick. You want soup to be somewhat thick, not watery. Season with the butter, honey, and taste for salt and add more if needed.

Place sour cream and half and half in a plastic baggy, mix around and snip end, pipe concentric circles, drag from inner circle out to edge with a toothpick. My second try came out better, but I didn't snap a picture of the good one!
Makes enough for about 4 servings.
I think this would be nice for Thanksgiving, sans spider web, but perhaps some other design such as dots with the tips dragged out like the chefs do :).





We got no trick or treaters :(
Well, it's time to put the decorations away, I only have a sorta small collection (lots larger than Easter, but MUCH less than Christmas, oh my....), anyway I kinda hate to see them go away for a whole 'nother year, Furby actually talks from inside his box every once in awhile, spooky!!! This year, I am going to put them all in two boxes only, then discard the old stuff, I swear! I've gotten this far in collecting them all from their various locations, just can't seem to put them away yet......Steve was kind enough to offer to help me tomorrow to pack it all up and put up our Thanksgiving stuff which consists of a bad wreath and a fake corn swag, I'm upgrading that and will be making fresh floral turkeys I'll share later....
Miss Kitty always getting into the action, she is facinated by Furby and got quite engaged with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment