Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sometimes You Gotta Have It







Mac "N Cheese of course, or in this case, penne n' cheese. It needed hot sauce.
I have a kind of "go to" recipe I use for mac 'n cheese. I make it occasionally when I have an excess of milk or half and half, plus various selections of cheeses that have accumulated, and yummy breadcrumbs. Today, it is actually raining out, I have the aforementioned supplies and a hunger crave for it. Any pasta will do I think and penne is what I have. Most cheeses will do, in this case I used smoked gouda, mexican blend shredded, velveeta, and jalapeno jack.
The breadcrumbs were two leftover ends of a Bavarian Rye I enjoy from Trader Joe's, it seems to last a long time in the cupboard, it makes wonderful toast with cottage cheese spread on it for a quick breakfast.
Anyway, as for the recipe, it's really simple, I call it Christine's Two-Timin" Mac 'N Cheese, because it uses 2 for each measure:
2 scant cups dry pasta
2 Tbls. butter
2 Tbls flour
2 cups milk, or half and half, or combination
2 cups cheese, any combination
dash salt
dash(es) hot sauce
2 Tbls fresh ground bread crumbs
Cooking spray, drizzle olive oil
Hot Sauce such as Louisiana for serving
Cook pasta in salted boiling water for about 10 - 11 minutes, while boiling make sauce:
Melt butter in saucepan, add flour, stirring, add milk, one cup at a time, stirring until thickened and boiling. Add cheeses, lower heat, continue stirring while melting, till smooth. Season with salt and hot sauce. Drain pasta, add to sauce, turn into sprayed baking dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs drizzled with olive oil. Bake in 400 degree oven (pre-heated) for about 20 to 25 minutes till bubbly. Let rest about 10 minutes, dish up and sprinkle with hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment